Its winter, its cold!
Colds and flu are prevalent during this time
What can you do that is simple and easy to reduce the chances of getting sick this winter?
Enhance your immune system through our six point approach.
Take a couple of simple supplements.
And you’re on your way to better health!
As temperatures lower, so too can your immune system’s capacity to fight off the bugs that cause colds and flus. Exposure to public places such as shopping centres, using public transport, working in an office and/or having kids at school provide ample opportunities for the whole family to be exposed to others who are sick. Airborne pathogens, as well as those present on shared items (e.g. bathroom taps and communal kitchens) can pose additional threats. Altogether, a winter-weakened immune system combined with increased exposure to infection-causing bugs, results in the ideal scenario for a cold or flu to strike; leaving you coughing and sneezing, with a sore throat and feeling under the weather!
Enhance Your Immunity
Give your immune system a head start by incorporating these healthy habits into your diet and lifestyle:
- Eat fresh fruits and veggies: Aim for at least two serves of fruit and three cups of vegetables daily. Eat different types to provide nutrients and antioxidants to help build strong immunity.
- Eliminate inflammatory foods: Sugar, refined carbohydrates, dairy, and wheat can all be inflammatory and may suppress immune function.
- Reduce stress: Stress steals energy and nutrients from your immune system, leaving you susceptible to getting sick. Enjoy the benefits of scheduling time out, relaxation and time spent in nature. Take a deep breath, pace yourself and relax.
- Exercise regularly: Remaining active not only makes you feel good; it also considerably reduces the frequency of contracting a cold. It also reduces stress levels and helps your heart and circulation.
- Sleep soundly: Aim for seven to eight hours of sleep each night to restore energy and allow your immune system to regain its strength and resilience. Nothing replaces good sleep.
- Spend time doing your favourite things, such as reading a book next to a fire. You do deserve some time out to re charge your batteries.
Take some simple supplements
There are many options but here are some simple and effective ones
When you consider our immune system, there are some heroes in medicinal mushrooms that can help you. They are effective and may assist in either avoiding or shortening the infections that come with the flu. Their names? Shiitake and Reishi.
Vitamin C and zinc are nutrients that have been associated with winter ills for a long time and are very helpful. Take some for winter and be stronger and healthier.